True Confessions…

…I’m under deadline, buried in paperwork, behind on chores, and, oh yeah…I’m spending hours at the end of a hose these days.  I’m sure it’s bad form to complain about the heat after complaining so loudly about the cold -  but really?  60* and raining on the 4th of July…97* and sweltering sun 4 days later??!!?  Poor Seattle… poor garden… poor hot stuffy house… cranky me.

I can’t blame the heat for my blogging absence… and truth be told, I really can’t pin it on the deadlines, paperwork or undone chores either.  However packed the agenda, these are the longest days of the year.  Sometimes there’s just more to get done than there are hours in the day.  Please forgive my 6 week interlude between posts.

My friend Willi over at Diggin Food, who is also working on a Project with a big ‘ole capitol “P”, has characterized this summer as “crawling under a rock called work”.  Yep; that pretty much sums up life for me as well.  Some years are just like that.  Wet, cold spring, languishing plants, blasting heat, and a world class crop of first snails, and now mosquitoes!  Life happens; the ride is bumpy, wear a seat belt.

Bent but not broken, I’m digging in and digging deeper.  We’re all doing our best and getting through some challenging times.  Loved ones die, hearts are broken;  jobs lost and security threatened.  Friends and family are dealing with real crisis and loss.  Busy doesn’t have to mean isolated.  Silence doesn’t always mean absence.  We’re all doing the work and walking the walk trying to be good humans.

If this is a tough time in your household, or the household of someone you love, I hope you’ll join me on the “virtual deck” tonight in the declining dusk of the day.  Bring a glass of cool wine and savor the balmy warmth of summer (FINALLY!)  Soak up the beauty and light a candle against the night.

But don’t forget the bug spray!!! Mosquitoes are KILLER this year!!!

7 Responses to “True Confessions…”

1. Debra Lee Baldwin July 9, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

Lorene, you write so beautifully, I can’t wait for your book. (Am also buried under a rock called work, with a big deadline at summer’s end.) Yours procrastinatingly, Debra

2. bo roth July 9, 2010 at 8:16 pm #

Love this, Lorene. I thought I was the only one shocked by the difficulty of making such an ABRUPT transition from wet/cold to hot heat. I don’t mind it, but it is making me mentally lazy as well. Today I tried one of those thought “maps” they teach kids in school, to generate writing? And I got about 60 balloons of “stuff” I’m thinking about or needing to do — but not getting to. That said, it’s time I went and got going with the working end of the garden hose, myself. My sugar snap peas are, well, tres woody — and I’m told it’s my lack of watering. (But it rained constantly till this week?) Lettuce don’t taste too good neither. Arg.
    All my hopes are now resting in my four cherry tom plants: two thriving, two looking like sickly emaciated cousins. (Guess which ones I put in the ground in early May?)

3. paula wilson July 10, 2010 at 10:43 pm #

I am sitting here with glass of wine in hand enjoying the sunset and yes I do have my citronella candle lit!
    Paula

4. David Perry July 11, 2010 at 10:58 am #

Beneath that rock is one of my heroines.
    Continuest thou to kicketh ass . . . brave maiden.

5. Theresa Loe July 14, 2010 at 11:04 am #

I’m with you sister!

I too love your writing. So spot on…always.

We all need to stop at the end of the day and “soak up the beauty and light”. Thanks for the reminder.

Okay back to work people!
    ;-)
    .-= Theresa Loe´s last blog ..Inspirational Gardening Video =-.

6. lorene July 27, 2010 at 4:18 pm #

ah… so sorry to be late in my reply…you’ve already heard my excuses. Thank you so much.

7. lorene July 27, 2010 at 4:19 pm #

The dragons are large and formidable, brave knight. Fortunately, I’ve got my friends:)